The most used mobile OS in the world, yet Android does not offer any built-in ways to hide apps. But, thankfully, the customisable nature makes it an easy to modify platform. So, how to hide apps on Android in 2020? The blog post covers 4 ways to hide apps on Android. From built-in ways to using third-party apps, the article is all you need.
Table of contents
- Find a built-in way
- Installing a launcher app
- Using and apps hider app
- Changing the app’s icon and name
Find a built-in method
The easiest and the safest way to hide apps is to find a built-in way. A pure Android does not come with this feature, but some brands using the software have offered their own ways to that.
There are two ways to hide apps on a Samsung device. To hide apps:
- Long press on the Home Screen
- Touch on Home screen settings
- Touch on the Hide apps option
- Choose the apps to hide and touch on apply.
The second method is using the Secure Folder. Secure Folder is a separate OS which comes with new Samsung devices.
To use, drop the notification panel and find the option Secure Folder. Enable the feature and find the app Secure Folder in the app drawer. The app requires a Samsung account and a method to secure the folder (PIN, fingerprint, etc.).
After that, install the app you want to hide on your device and add the app to the secure folder and delete the original app. That’s it; you are done.
- In the app drawer, swipe to the right from the left edge.
- A window will show with hidden space option.
- Select the apps you want to hide after touching on the edit button.
- Pinch out on the home screen.
- Touch on the add button.
- A window will show with all the installed apps.
- Select the apps you want to add.
Installing a launcher app
By installing a launcher, you can hide apps on Android without rooting. For other brands, installing a launcher is the easiest way to hide apps. Now, a launcher completely changes the look of your device. So, you will have to be careful while installing a launcher app. The below launchers offer to hide apps on Android:
Using apps hiding app
The second option is to install an app to hide apps. There are many, but I personally like Calculator Vault. The app is smart enough to trick your friends. The app behaves like a calculator until you don’t insert the password. The app not only hides the apps, but it can also hide photos and videos.
Changing the icon and the name
Another way is to change the icon and name of the app. This is the least secure method as anyone can open the app by just touching. Another issue with this method is you need an app to achieve that because the Quickstep (default launcher) does not offer to change the icon and name of the apps.
PK Editor is one of the apps which offer to change the name and icon permanently. Permanently means until you don’t uninstall the app. Here is how to use the app:
- Open the app.
- Choose APK from the list you have the app installed.
- Select the app which you want to edit.
- Next, you will see a window with three options. Select the Common Edit option.
- There will be options to change the name and icon at the top.
- Tap on save.
- Uninstall the original app and install the edited app.
Related: Browse the whole Android topic
Not sure which method to use? Watch the video to find the best way to hide apps on Android. The video covers all four methods.
There might be other ways to hide apps on Android, but the above ones are popular. I hope the blog posted helped. Please share your views in the comments below so we can discuss more.