Gboard is the official keyboard app for Android, and in a short amount of time, it took over SwiftKey. But, one thing that you don’t find in Gboard is built-in themes.
You might see it as a disadvantage, but the app has more to its sleeves. It comes with a theme creator to create custom themes. The article helps you create and customize your own Gboard themes.
What Gboard has to offer
Gboard offers a few options to create themes. You can’t change the button position as those come from the language you type in, but button colors and keyboard background can be changed (with some limitations). Let’s explore each below.
Default Gboard themes
Although Gboard does not come with a theme store, it comes with four default themes. Below are the details for each.
- Dynamic color: The dynamic color theme adapts your wallpaper’s color. The feature is only available in Android 12. If you change the wallpaper, you will see different keyboard colors.
- System auto: The keyboard will follow the system’s theme. If the light mode is on, you will see the light theme. If the dark mode is scheduled, the keyboard follows.
- Default: The default and basic light theme with dark button colors.
- Default dark: This one is the default night mode theme with a dark background and white buttons.
The theme colors are solid background colors. Gboard comes with 18 colors to apply to the keyboard.
Three are light-colored, six are dark-colored, and 9 have different colors, including red, green, and blue. Applying each offer to enable and disable key borders. Depending on the color, the button color is selected.
Related: Samsung Keyboard vs. Gboard
As the name suggests, Gboard comes with 12 landscape images to apply to the keyboard. The landscape images change the background of your keyboard.
The pictures are not installed, so an internet connection is required to download and use those. Like theme colors, you can enable the key borders.
Light gradient backgrounds
Light gradient backgrounds occupy the second most extensive image library in Gboard. You will find 25 light gradient images to download. With any, the button color is dark with slightly transparent light button backgrounds.
Dark gradient backgrounds
It comes with 28 dark gradient backgrounds, and unlike the light color, the button colors are dark.
Depending on the selected gradient, the enter key color changes. All are available on the cloud, so you must download them.
How to create a custom Gboard theme
Follow the steps to create your Gboard theme:
- Go to keyboard settings and tap on themes
- Tap on the plus sign in my themes
- Choose the background image
- Adjust the image position and zoom level and touch on Next
- Adjust image brightness
- Tap on the key border to hide if you don’t want them
- Tap on the Apply button to activate the theme
Depending on your version, the settings button could be on the top row or under customization settings. You can access it by tapping on the ellipsis.
When you tap on the apply button, the theme is added to my themes and is activated.
For the brightness, I suggest picking a value less than 40%. If the background image is light, the keyboard buttons won’t be visible as the buttons are white, which can’t be changed.
How to customize your Gboard themes
Gboard supports adding multiple themes, so you can tap on any to apply and customize. To customize an existing theme:
- Go to the keyboard settings
- Tap on the theme you want to edit
- Follow the steps and hit on the apply button to save the edited theme
If you want complete access to Gboard and download, edit, and activate themes, you can try the Rboard Theme Manager app, which lets you take control of Gboard. The only problem is that your phone must be rooted.
What happens if the photo is deleted?
Gboard saves a copy of the background photo, so even if the original photo is deleted, the theme is not affected.
You can also go back and adjust the photo position as long as the photo is still in the background. Once the theme is deleted, you can’t bring the photo back.
Gboard themes are one of the ways to customize the keyboard. You can also remove the number row, adjust the keyboard size, and enable the long-press options to unlock its full potential. I hope the article helped. Please let me know how I can improve it for others.