Last updated: 17 Mar 2021 | Reading time: 5 minutes | Watching time: 5 minutes
Sygic may not support public transport, but it a service packed with powerful AI. Google Maps, on the other hand, is impressive and famous. Both have been working on different features. For example, Sygic recently added support for electric cars and Google Maps has been improving in personalising and group planning.
How both are different and which one is better where? In this blog post, we are going to compare Sygic vs. Google Maps. The comparison covers many features and at last, which one is better where.
Routing is essential because you don’t want to stuck in traffic. Google Maps gets the data from Android devices, the app itself, and many other GPS enabled devices around the world. Sygic uses TomTom Traffic navigation, and the data is updated every two minutes from over 400 million vehicles.
To find a prominent service, I took a test drive of 9 kilometres (5.5 Miles). Take a look at the below table for the results of the test drive.
|Service||ETA on start||ETA on end||Dist. on start||No. of reroutes|
|Google Maps||16:45||16:50||9.4 km||4|
Regarding the traffic, Google Maps was more accurate, while both could not cope with the real-time traffic changes. Sygic has a feature of suggesting if a better route is available, which can help sometimes.
Sygic comes in a few languages, including English UK, US, Deutsch, Italiano and a couple more. Google Maps offers a wide range of voice options, including English, Deutsch, Eesti, Filipino, Italiano, Magyar, Norsk, Suomi.
Regarding voice command, Google Maps is better. Google Maps voice navigation only guides at the needed times, while Sygic voice navigation guides even when no turning is required.
Google Maps allows downloading maps of about 70 kilometres of the area at a time. You can download multiple areas for free. You can also toggle on/off the offline navigation.
With Sygic, it depends on your plan. You can download the purchased regions. Regarding the storage, Sygic reported in an experiment that Google Maps is more likely to consume more storage.
The second most essential section of Sygic vs. Google Maps is reporting. The more features the service has, the better. Take a look at the below table for all the supported features.
|Static speed camera||✔️||❌|
|Mobile speed camera||❌||✔️ User-provided|
|Road closure||❌||✔️ User-provided|
|Object on road||❌||✔️ User-provided|
|Disabled vehicle||❌||✔️ User-provided|
|Disabled vehicle||❌||✔️ User-provided|
There is no comparison regarding transit options. Sygic is only for private vehicles, while Google Maps supports car, bike, motorbike, public transport, cycle, walk, taxi, rideshare etc. Some of location-dependent and may not be available in all the regions.
Sygic offers a store where users can purchase add-ons. It comes with a handful of add-ons mentioned below.
- Real view navigation
- Head-up display
Each add-on can be purchased separately as well as with plans.
The last comparable section in Sygic vs Google Maps is about other features. Here we will compare some of the unique elements of both.
- A small window visible on the right side of the screen shows how many lanes are in total and which lane the driver should be driving.
- Parking spot: feature shows nearby parking when you get close to the destination.
- The Parking feature remembers where you park your car.
- SOS feature shows your location, nearest police station, hospital, petrol station, and pharmacy.
- Journey previewing is for previewing your journey
- Lanes feature shows lanes on the top at an intersection
- The Total lanes option shows how many lanes in total and which lane the driver should choose.
- Businesses feature allows finding the information for millions of businesses, including their business hours, reviews, ratings, photos etc.
- Street view is for street-view and real-time street view feature to experience true navigation.
- The Nearby places option shows nearby places on the map while driving.
- The Activity (timeline) tool saves your driving activity, while Sygic has a similar tool called Sygic Travel book.
Still not sure? Take a look at the comparison video. This video covers basic functionalities and how both perform on the road.
Which one is better where?
- For public transport, Google Maps.
- Google Maps is better regarding traffic, but it always stays on the route, which was suggested initially.
- Sygic is the way to go if you want to stay away from safety cameras.
The most important question is whether you want to spend money. Sygic is not free, which is a fine line between Sygic and Google Maps.
Both are great and can be used on different occasions. I hope the article Sygic vs. Google Maps helped. Feel free to share your views in the comments below so we can discuss more.