Sygic may not support public transport, but it is a service packed with powerful AI. Google Maps, on the other hand, is impressive and famous.
How both are different, and which one is better where? In this blog post, we will compare Sygic vs. Google Maps. The comparison covers many features and, at last, which one is better where.
Routing is essential because you don’t want to get stuck in traffic. Google Maps gets the data from Android devices, the app itself, and many other GPS-enabled devices worldwide. Sygic uses TomTom Traffic navigation, and the data is updated every two minutes from over 400 million vehicles.
To find a prominent service, I took a test drive of 9 kilometers (5.5 Miles). Take a look at the below table for the results of the test drive.
|Service||ETA on start||ETA on end||Dist. on start|
|Google Maps||16:45||16:50||9.4 km|
Regarding the traffic, Google Maps was more accurate, while both could not cope with the real-time traffic changes. Sygic has a feature of suggesting if a better route is available, which can help sometimes.
Sygic comes in a few languages, including English, UK, US, Deutsch, Italiano, etc. Google Maps offers a wide range of voice options, including English, Deutsch, Eesti, Filipino, Italiano, Magyar, Norsk, and Suomi.
Regarding voice command, Google Maps is better. Google Maps voice navigation only guides when needed, while Sygic voice navigation guides even when no turning is required.
Google Maps allows downloading maps of about 70 kilometers of the area. You can download multiple areas for free. You can also toggle on/off the offline navigation.
With Sygic, it depends on your plan. You can download the purchased regions. Sygic reported in an experiment that Google Maps is more likely to consume more storage regarding storage.
Related: Google Maps vs. Waze
The second most essential section of Sygic vs. Google Maps is reporting. The more features the service has, the better. Take a look at the below table for all the supported features.
|Static speed camera||✔️||❌|
|Mobile speed camera||❌||✔️|
|Object on road||❌||✔️|
There is no comparison regarding transit options. Sygic is only for private vehicles, while Google Maps supports cars, bikes, motorbikes, public transport, cycle, walk, taxi, rideshare, etc. Some of location-dependent and may not be available in all the regions.
Sygic offers a store where users can purchase add-ons. It comes with a handful of add-ons mentioned below.
- Real view navigation
- Head-up display
Each add-on can be purchased separately as well as with plans.
The last comparable section in Sygic vs. Google Maps is about other features. Here we will compare some of the unique elements of both.
- A small window visible on the right side of the screen shows how many lanes are total and which lane the driver should be driving.
- The parking spot feature shows nearby parking when you get close to the destination.
- The Parking feature remembers where you parked your car.
- SOS feature shows your location, nearest police station, hospital, petrol station, and pharmacy.
- Journey previewing is for previewing your journey.
- Lanes feature shows lanes on the top at an intersection
- The Total lanes option shows how many lanes in total and which lane the driver should choose.
- Businesses feature allows finding the information for millions of businesses, including their business hours, reviews, ratings, photos, etc.
- Street view is for street-view and real-time street view to experience true navigation.
- The Nearby places option shows nearby places on the map while driving.
- The Activity (timeline) tool saves your driving activity, while Sygic has a similar tool called Sygic Travel book.
Related: Sygic vs. TomTom GO
Which one is better where?
- For public transport, Google Maps.
- Google Maps is better regarding traffic, but it always stays on the route, which was suggested initially.
- Sygic is the way to go if you want to stay away from safety cameras.
The most important question is whether you want to spend money. Sygic is not free, which is a fine line between Sygic and Google Maps.
Both are great and can be used on different occasions. I hope the article Sygic vs. Google Maps helped. Feel free to share your views in the comments below to discuss more.